Saturday, August 15, 2009

A Monumentous Ending and a brief testimony



I mentioned the Jubilee back in April. Our Stake was preparing to celebrate 50 years since it was formed. As a part of the festivities they wanted to have a "cultural performance" aka a road show. The idea was to honor all of the decades through song and dance. When I saw the flyer I thought, "How cute, I'll be sure to come and watch"

Well, my friend was the director and was worrying to me about not having any choreographers. Seeing the desperation in her face, I told her I could do one, so I was assigned the "Thriller" dance. To make a long story short, I showed up and I was the only choreographer to do so at first. After one practice, I was named "principle choreographer" WHAT!!!??? I have four kids home for the summer, one of whom was 5 months old and nursing full time!! How could I give that much time???

You know what happened next. I accepted, out of guilt and there it began. 3 days a week for 4-5 hours at a time in the gym at the Stake Center. Hours in my living room making up moves and trying to figure out how to get 60 performers all together and to keep up the charade that I had some kind of experience with this scale of a production



















There were times when I felt sick to my stomach, sure that this thing would never look right. To make it worse, one of the nights, they had invited a bunch of VIP's, including the mayor" to watch. At the meetings they would first remind us of the VIP's and then remind us of our lack of budget. It felt so big, so out of reach, but we just kept on working and hoping that the Lord would make up the difference for us.

All that I can say, is that He did! And He did it in a big way. We had one tech rehersal, then one run through on the stage at the high school. Let's just say, it was rough.

Feeling very fearful, we had just a few hours before the audience came. The air was electric with nerves and a whole lot of HOPE! From the first song, it was magical!!! The performers were on fire and they hit every mark of the hour long show, and (my own personal triumph,) they stood in STRAIGHT LINES!!!!!






















They paid me a special honor by asking me, nay forcing me, to dance in Thriller with them. Our MJ was Ian Griffey, a young man that I had taught to swim when he was 5 years old. He was amazing---his moon walk was incredible and he had the crowd going crazy!








Looking at these pictures makes me so proud to know these great people. They have so much talent and were so willing to give over their summers for this show. That last night of performance was bitter-sweet. We had made a little family and it was just over. I don't know if I'll ever have an opportunity like this again and it stretched me in so many ways.


(the directors)


(my friend Dee, who I roped in to choreograph the 60's swing number)

Of course, there was a fireside to end the week of JUBILATION. Our former Stake President spoke, (he's the Elvis above) and he said that Heavenly Father will give us all of his choicest blessings if we will just SHOW UP. I could have never imagined the amazing blessings this would bring. I felt so much help and inspiration that went far beyond my capabilities. I know now just how true President Lewis' thoughts were. If we just show up we will be molded into what He knows we can be. I'm so glad I did it, so glad I showed up and so glad to have my wed, thurs and saturdays back.

There, that was a long one, but it's now officially recorded for posterity.

9 comments:

Natalie said...

Wow! I am impressed! What a huge responsibility! But what a great learning experience.

"...If you will just show up." I am laughing right now as Anthony is fumbling his feet trying to make it to a 6am priesthood meeting. He doesn't want to hear my lecture on "sweety, we NEED to show Heavenly Father where our priorities are...we need him in our life SO MUCH right now." If only he could have read this post of yours!

Sean and Kristina Kelly said...

Holy cow, that is HUGE! Sounds like you were really busy, but it looked AMAZING!!!

Unknown said...

I can't think of anyone better to choreograph an entire road show. You always did have some good moves! Way to show up and tear it up!
Is the rumor true? Are you all headed out this way? Keeping my fingers crossed.

Unknown said...

Not sure why I'm signed in as McKenna-it's Jen

Chelsea said...

Hem Hem..."It's Raiining. On Prom Night". I knew you had it in you lady! No seriously, that is so awesome, you are so talented and WOW you look amazing. Would never know you have four kids you are one hot mama! I am proud of you. Love you!!

Tasha said...

How fun! I know you, and I know you did an amazing job! Its so true, how often do we stay home, thinking "its to much, I can't do it" and miss out on the blessing because we just failed to get ourselves out the door.

You rock Melissa. I'm proud to know you!

Karina Houser said...

Wow! Looks like an awesome event! Great job, Melissa!

Christin said...

What an awesome experience! I wish I could have seen it. Everything you do is amazing!

Shawna B. said...

i am so proud of you! you always show up, missa. i wish i could have been there to see your hard work in action - and to see you dance that thriller! i think you will remember this experience forever and how He came through for you. He always does.

way to go!!!!