Here is Autumn with her adoring cousin Lydia. Their bond is so cute!
.jpg)
There has been a learning curve to having four kids, but for me, when life gets hectic, I start implementing schedules and new strategies. Here are a few that I am trying.
First, a new morning schedule. It may seem a bit over the top, but I needed a way to have a more peaceful start to the day. The kids got alarm clock for Christmas and at 7AM, the morning strategy begins.

*** I have the kids in different places doing different things. So, while Madeline eats breakfast, Jaxen gets dressed and cleans his room. While Madeline does her chores, Jaxen is brushing his teeth and so on. (Elijah is just running around or watching some tube) This has really cut down on the bickering and goofing off. Every step changes by the clock, so it is no longer me nagging and yelling, it is the schedule being the "boo bah" (for you Shawna), not me.
I also must say, that they really do help me out. I need a team effort to get it all done.
*** I get dressed in my work out clothes and don't change until I get my work out done. (often I don't change even if I work out, but that's beside the point)

*** I leave the vacuum out until I do it. So, pretty much my vacuum is always out, but I think my floors are cleaner.......eventually anyway.
*** Dinner and lunch prep: Since the mid-mornings are the calmest, I decided to do all that I can to take chores away from the evenings and put them into this time. I prepare most of the dinner and make the kids lunches for the next day.
*** Rather than waiting for Jason to watch the kids for me to exercise, I teach at my house twice a week. This way I get to see some friends, pump some iron, have a little chat and I don't have to load the kids into the car.
*** I am finally learning the benefits of cooking double batches and freezing. There is nothing better than defrosting and heating, it makes me feel so smart!
*** With all of this, the greatest trick I have found is living by family. Not just any family, but the greatest, most thoughtful people I know. Without my asking, my mom and Jason's parents step in and save the day almost daily!!!! Thank you for seeing our needs and filling them!



In general, I just want more calm and less rushing around. I just know there has to be a way to have order and peace.....right???? It's not a perfect system. I still have trouble finding time to take a shower and get ready properly for the day. I only make a real dinner about 3 or 4 times a week. (Jason's schedule helps me on this) I need to learn how to use coupons, plan meals for the week and get my food storage going. (not to mention doing my scripture study and daily prayers.) I guess it's time to get strategizing.
3 comments:
Wow, you are amazing. For some reason reading this post brought tears to my eyes! You love your family enough to do what you are doing!! I have always thought you were such a good mom, with the greatest and most creative ideas. I learn so much from you.:)
I'm exhausted just reading this. And instead of getting ready for church, I'm going to go look at some more blogs. Ha!
You inspire me! I love how on top of things you are, and how innovative you are. Yes, you are, Missa! I could use a little of your strategies myself! I think it's great you got the kids alarm clocks. Fabulous idea! Definitely not a boo bah! :)
Post a Comment