Sunday, February 22, 2009

The ears in the genes



One of Autumns cutest features are her ears. I recognized them right away and they still make me giggle on a daily basis. Not so much for the dignified look they give her, but because they remind me of one of my favorite people.




My grandma Helen was one of those awesome grandmas who could not bring herself to discipline us, no matter how much we needed it. She had a steady supply of ding dongs and twinkies in the cupboard, and yes, she had these same droopy/projecting ears. It was hard to find some pictures of her ears, as her hair or a scarf was usually covering them.

But in a long lost album, there was the evidence. It makes me smile to know that grandma takes great pleasure in this connection with her great granddaughter. I know she loves it because....



she would always point out that another lucky girl got these ears as well.



Oh, Autumn, if nothing else, you have two ladies who will understand. Now we just wait to see if she gets more from grandma. The genes that carried her double D's, as the girls of the family know, seems to be long gone. Now we have renewed hope that perhaps they will reemerge.

I love and miss you grandma, but love this new reminder of you!!!

6 comments:

Karina Houser said...

Aww, I got a little teary-eyed with this post!

Love your schedules, too! Go, supermom!

maugers said...

I know my time will come with schedules, but I really enjoy sleeping until my kids wake me up right now ;) Even though we tend to be late getting to anything that starts before 9.
I've always liked your ears, it's neat that you know where they came from...and that your grandma was always proud of them. Good luck to Autumn with her double Ds :)

shawna b. said...

This is one of my most favorite Melissa posts. Got me a little choked up there. What beautiful ears you have - ALL of you. They are ears with character, and that is something in this world. I think Grandma Helen must have had a hand in getting Autumn her set!

Tasha said...

I love the walk down memory lane. Thanks for sharing some prectious family photos with us!

Chelsea said...

this is such a great post and I can't wait to study your schedule ideas...why oh why do you live so far away from me? We think so much alike!! You are so great, I miss you!!

Chelsea said...

Oh and speaking of food storage...I have the BEST thing ever, I'll make you a copy and send. You spend $5 extra dollars every week (salt, tuna, macaroni, sugar, etc.) and it tells you exactly waht to buy. by the end of a year you have a full year's worth of food (for 2 people, so you can triple it and spend $15 extra and have the whole shabang done depending on your budget). Anyway, it has saved me! I no longer cringe when the mention of "food storage" comes up. I'll make a copy and get it to you.