Sunday, February 24, 2008

Stress Eating!!

Someone stop me NOW!!!  Why do I do this?  When I am stressed, I eat and eat and eat a whole bunch of crap.  At this rate, by the time we move I 'm going to need a whole new wardrobe.  Is it innate within in me, is it a learned behavior or just an excuse to indulge in what I deny myself most of the time.  The truth is, in the end, I am left much more stressed as I worry and lament my poor choices.  It's almost a robotic reflex, as the carbs are shoved in to feed the "worry wart" inside.  

I think the most frustrating part for me is that I really feel like I have changed my habits so completely.  That I am committed to healthy living through and through and yet, once again I am left with the bitter truth.  I am not wholly reformed, I am but an argument with Jason, one more negative pregnancy test or a building inspection away from a cookie dough feast.  I expose this only because I am truly puzzled by this and I am hoping that by being candid, I will stop this cycle of "gorgery".  (OOOOUUU, I like that new made-up word)  Maybe I'll go to Trader Joe's tomorrow, it always inspires me.

6 comments:

kristin wise said...

You are trying to get pregnant? Awesome. Good luck. It took me a year on the fourth one for some reason. In the mean time, go ahead and indulge girl. I know you are a little crazy about your eating and what not. Relax, eat a little crap. Its ok!

Emily Lewis said...

Stress eating.....what's that?! I can feel your guilt! You are under a lot of stress and it is OK! Give yourself a break. Whether you know it or not you have a lot of support. You are ENTITLED to be "freaked" out.

YOU ARE LOVED!

Tasha said...

Melissa,
I am there with you. I feel like I know better, and I've processed it all, and I want to treat my body better and then I end up soothing myself with food and feeling like crap about it. I felt like I had pre-baby weight to loose because of stress eating with those negative pregnancy tests too. I really hear you Melissa. Those last 8 months of residency Melissa, seriously, it is the light at the end of the tunnell, but it is the hardest time. Everyone things you should be walking on a cloud. I thought I would literally loose my mind. I may have a little. Hugs. Big Hugs.

Shawna B. said...

You are talking to a girl who will never give up on her Skittles and hot cocoa, so this comes from one who likely is not as commited to healthy eating as you are, but I say, eat up, friend! Try to be a bit more moderate, if it makes you feel better, but I know you. You will jump right back into your healthy swing when things settle a bit. You will. You always do. So for now, maybe just enjoy this time for what it is - an excuse to eat chocolate - I wish I were there with you. I guarantee I'd eat more than you.

I love you, Miss Lisaa. I think you're wonderful in every way!

Jenny Dahl said...

If "skinny cows" are your indulgence I say you'll be just fine! We all need a little break from healthy eating every once in a while. Heaven only knows I've been taking a long one and I'll be paying for it! Can you believe I've never been to Trader Joes?

Kimberly said...

Ummmm...Melis...I lived with you and I don't remember super bad eating habits. Hmmmm...wait I remember some, oh no, nevermind, that was ME who had the bad eating habits! However, I do remember a few buckets of Christmas treats being taken down with no remorse! Maybe you need to come over so I can bake for you. Skinny cows just aren't gonna cut it when you are stress eating...you need some real live, homemade, KIM TREATS!!!

Can't wait til you move out here!