Thursday, December 6, 2012

Food 360



Given the previous post, you may guess the JrozCrew has undergone quite a change in our diets.  I had been trying to make small changes here and there, but something sparked inside my little head and one day, and I just went full out.


My cupboards, my shopping lists and the stores I frequent have changed.  Our menu, our food sources and my entire philosophy has switched..... and to be honest, it wasn't as hard as I had worked up in my head.  

The big switch started when I read this book and started reading it out load to Jason on a car trip.  He was so intrigued that he, MY HUSBAND the cynic, read the book himself.  With him on board, I I was free to literally purge my house and go full out on the changes.  
To put it simply, this is a philosophy that we should eat and have habits (ie good sleep, lots of play and smart exercise)  that matches how we were designed to function.  No grains, no legumes, grass fed/pastured animal products and lots and lots of fruits and veggies.  Sort bursts of exercise, lifting heaving things and taking out stress are all apart of it.  


The kids are somewhere between Primal and Traditional (see youtube video), with a 
sprinkling to the SAD (Standard American) diet.



I started working at my very local CSA and found such joy in sweating to death and then leaving with my basket of fresh goodness.




Our garden yielded many, many....many cucumbers, acorn squash, one spaghetti squash, pumpkins, strawberries, tomatoes, zucchini and a precious few raspberries.






We have eliminated nearly all processed foods, which means I cook ALOT!!!  I make the cereal, the bars and treats.  We even make our own Jerky.... which I must say, is divine.


Making our cereal


Primal "Oatmeal" with bacon and mango


My kids fav:  Soufflé


Finding new and exciting ways to prepare Cucumbers



No comments: