Friday, February 12, 2010

Double Digits



Jaxen turned 10 on tues, and it has been a week of celebration! Despite my alluring suggestions to many other restaurants, the birthday boy chose McDonalds for his dinner. ( I really have grown to disdain all fast food, but McDonalds is the the ultimate gross out for me) I swallowed my pride, and a little bit of a salad and sat and marveled at how old he seemed.

Last year at this time, I wrote about how much I was struggling with how to parent Jaxen. I had more questions than answers, and most of all, I truly felt that I was loosing my connection with him. I vowed to do better, and I am so relieved to report that this year has been an amazing one for us. I found some answers, I tried new approaches, I faced some fears, and came out the other end a better mom. He has soared in school, gained confidence and taught me so much about how to let go and learn from these kids in my home.

Jaxen is a deep thinker, and sensitive to the spirit. His prayers can bring tears to my eyes and his ability to call me out when I've ventured into "crazy mom" leave me humbled. (and him in his room for a while) As much as I love having babies, this stage is so exciting as they start to hone in on what their talents and interests are. He's loving basketball, indoor soccer and gearing up for another summer of swimming. He is also showing interest in creative writing and art, showing that he has influences from both sides of the family.

His party is tomorrow---a bunch of 10 year old boys-----please send me strength!!!!

5 comments:

流浪汉 瑜伽 Yoga Tramp said...

Hey friend nice to meet u ,u hv a nice blog, wish all the best to u 6-^

Chelsea said...

Hmmm...yoga tramp? Okay, so anyway, Happy Birthday Jaxen! I feel weepy b/c these posts flash me back to holding him in my basement apartment, or coming to Colorado and Levi and him taking baby baths together. where has the time gone? You are such a great mom, and such an inspiration! I so totally miss you!!

maugers said...

That painting is amazing! He's awesome, Dave and I were riding home today from his party talking about how kind and great Jaxen is. Even if he's acting cool he's still sweet. We love him!

Christin said...

I can't believe Jaxen is 10. Well I guess I can because Taylor is 10. Let me just say I love 10. Taylor being 10 has been an awesome year for us. He has grown in ways I didn't think were possible. 10 year old boys are pretty great! Tell Jaxen happy belated birthday for me.

Tasha said...

I remember meeting you for the first time the night you moved to NOLA and you held your timy newborn baby boy in your arms and fed him. WOW! Now he is 10! It just slips by, doesn't it?