Friday, April 25, 2008

Ode to the First Trimester



For this ity bity life
I give my whole self
Take my personal plans
Put them up on a self

New things more important
Like eating and resting
Can't use the word crazy
So we just call it nesting

I need to write "pregnant"
Across my forehead
A simple way to show why
I look mostly dead

Not time for new clothes
or setting up a crib
Just try to stay grateful
As I lift up the lid

Feeling so weak 
Compelled by the retching
I'm sure my poor husband
Finds all of this fetching

I finally have boobs
But does it really matter
They don't seem so cool
With the rest of me fatter

For now it's just me
With this growing babe
Our lives so intwined
The bond firmly made

Despite all my whining
Moping and moaning
We wait and we dream
Just praying and hoping

So I have to give in
And turn over this bod
Relinquish my pride
For our pea in pod



Sadly, my parenting happens mostly from a reclined position these days.  Here the kids cooperated to make me a princess.  I welcome all activities where I can remain seated.  Man I hope I can survive these next  few weeks.

7 comments:

Chelsea said...

Melissa, I so wish I could come help you out. I seriously am feeling a little nauseous for you. I loved your poem. At this point, it is hard to even imagine how fun babies are...it really is worth it.

Unknown said...

Oh, You hit the nail on the head with that one. Loved it. (and sorry David woke you up so early the other morning! I feel awful because I know your sleep is so precious! Thanks again for your help.)

Precept said...

Did you write that Melissa?? I am impressed with all your hidden talents if you did.HEatherB

Tasha said...

The good thing is that you CAN do much of your parenting from a reclined and seating position. You can be gloriously grateful and hopful and feel pretty rough at the same time! I was a zofran girl all the way through both of my pregnancies...

You will have time to set up that crib when you get moved and you are feeling better. I am so glad your house is sold and you don't have to worry about showing it anymore! Can you imagine???

maugers said...

Cute poem! Good luck! I'll gladly take those kiddos off your hands come May :)

kristin wise said...

Oh Melissa, I can so sympathize. It is hard. Good luck and I hope the sickness leaves you soon.

Jordan said...

Oh, Melissa! I feel for you!